ARE METAL FILLINGS SAFE?

For more then 30 years the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has declined to give any public health statement regarding the neurotoxic risks of “silver” dental amalgam fillings. The American Dental Association, as well as the FDA, still allow mercury fillings as a “safe” choice. As a result, the average person has eight “silver” or mercury amalgam fillings.

So why should you be concerned about the risks of silver fillings?

More and more studies and research is being published showing the dangers of mercury toxicity stemming from metal fillings. Conventional news outlets, such as Huffington Post, are beginning to feature stories (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/mercury-how-to-get-this-l_b_469358.html) on how mercury could really be making you sick.

“Mercury Safe” dentist Dr. Tom McGuire states in his article “Chronic Mercury Poisoning: Related Symptoms & Diseases” (http://www.dentalwellness4u.com/layperson/symptoms.html) that as many as 100 different symptoms are listed in relation to chronic mercury poisoning. Further, because mercury is classified as a neurotoxin it can also cause or contribute to emotional and psychological issues, such as depression, anxiety, mood swings, and memory loss. The number and severity of your symptoms depend on several different factors:

  • How many fillings you have
  • How long you’ve had them
  • How they are stimulated
  • How often they are stimulated.

While the following list is by no means exhaustive, these are some of the most common symptoms listed of mercury poisoning:

  • tremors
  • emotional changes
  • insomnia
  • neuromuscular changes
  • headaches
  • disturbances in sensations
  • changes in nerve responses
  • performance deficits on tests of cognitive function

At higher exposures there may be kidney effects, respiratory failure, and death.

So how does this toxicity take effect?

In his article “Dangers of Amalgam Fillings” (https://draxe.com/dangers-of-amalgam-fillings/), Dr. Josh Axe states the following: “Mercury vapors released increases with any type of stimulation–think chewing (food, gum, grinding the teeth, etc.) heat, and dental procedures such as dental cleanings.” Once you have the amalgam filling in your mouth, a steady stream of toxic vapor is being released into your body almost constantly over a 24-hour period.

The International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology conducted two separate studies (https://iaomt.org/wp-content/uploads/The-Case-Against-Amalgam.pdf) by placing amalgam fillings into the teeth of sheep and monkeys to see just how quickly toxicity from mercury vapor takes effect. Within two weeks, kidney function decreased by 60 percent, indicating kidney malfunction in the animals. Not long after that, mercury was detected in many of the vital organs of the sheep and monkeys. The following video “Smoking Teeth” also produced by the IAOMT of a 25-year-old tooth containing a mercury amalgam filling shows how this toxic vapor is stimulated and released into the body. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw94F94FZqA

Does your mouth still contain amalgam fillings? If so, please consider getting them removed from a trained mercury safe dentist such as Dr. Sperbeck. In my next article, I will discuss why it is essential to have a mercury safe dentist who follows specific protocols remove the fillings. Finally, if you suspect you may be suffering from mercury toxicity or have any further questions, please call our office today at (844) 855- 8819 or visit our website at dds4smiles.com and one of our friendly staff would be happy to take care of your needs.